Helpful Links for Independent School Searches
- The Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE)- A member organization representing independent schools in New England on this site you can conduct a search for schools or summer camps
- The Association of Boarding Schools – Through the TABS website you will be able to generate a list of schools matching your needs and interests. The online Information Request Form puts you in contact with schools quickly and there are homepage links to member schools.
- The National Association of Independent Schools – NAIS is a member organization representing approximately 1200 independent schools and associations in the U.S. and abroad. On this site there is a link to the SSS Parents Financial Statement online.
- The Vincent Curtis Educational Register – Through the VincentCurtis website you will be able find free information on over 1200 private schools and camps.
- Secondary School Admission Test – Through this website you can register for the SSAT, required for admission to many secondary schools. Sample questions are provided.
- Independent School Entrance Exam – Through this website you may register for the ISEE, required by many schools for entrance into the 5th – 12th grades.
- Educational Testing Service – This web site offers links to register for several types of tests, but most commonly the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and the SLEP (Secondary Level English Proficiency exam).
Executive Function Coaching
- Beyond BookSmart – Beyond BookSmart is an executive function coaching company that provides in-home and online, 1:1 coaching to students K-College to help them become more effective. For over ten years, they have been working with students throughout Massachusetts strategies and tools to be successful in the classroom and beyond. With branches in Boston, Chicago, greater NYC area and south Florida. They offer free tips and strategies to parents on their blog.
- Engaging Minds – Engaging Minds is an after school learning center that focuses on strengthening students’ executive function skills. Guided by experienced instructors and through the lens of their own homework, students learn the academic skills and strategies they need to succeed over the long-term. Students leave each session feeling accomplished and prepared for the week ahead, and further along in their journey to becoming independent and self-confident learners. Engaging Minds has locations in Newton and Wayland, MA. For more information, call 617-964-3100.
Tutors and Standardized Test Preparation Providers
- ClubZ! In-Home Tutoring – CLUBZ! In-Home Tutoring offers one-on-one tutoring for students in their home. The tutors are highly qualified, degreed, and experienced, and their approach is focused on developing a customized tutoring plan based on the individual student’s curriculum, academic needs, learning style, and testing requirements. They specialize in SSAT and ISEE test prep. They also work specifically in all subjects K-12 including math, reading, writing, science and languages, as well as basic study/organizational skills. Call Reingard Nathanson, Clubz! Metrowest Director, at (978) 440-9844.
- Evolve Tutoring: Evolve is a Best of Boston® award winner and takes a truly holistic approach to working with students. By taking an active interest in the young people they work with, they help them grow not only as students, but as people. Their skilled team of tutors offer in-home tutoring across all subjects, as well as SAT/ACT prep. The initial assessment is free of charge, and they can be reached at (877) 413-4769 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Inspirica – One-on-one test preparation and academic support in your home. Customized tutoring programs for ISEE, SSAT, PSAT, SAT, ACT, and all SAT Subject Tests. Over 25 years of experience, with offices in Boston, New York and Philadelphia. Call Vicky Cahill at (617) 243-9015.
- Open Door Tutoring and Test Prep – Founded by enthusiastic educators, Open Door Test Prep in Acton, MA, provides students with smart, patient, individualized tutoring and test preparation. Open Door’s teachers specialize in helping students prepare for the SAT and ACT, and also provide academic support to students in jr. high and high school. Call 978.263.6387 to learn more.
- Prepped and Polished – Founded by 12 year test prep expert Alexis Avila, Prepped & Polished offers in-person and online tutoring and test prep for the SAT, ACT, SSAT, and ISEE tests as well as academic and executive function coaching. Call 781-753-9951 or email email@example.com.
- Russell Education — Former classroom teacher David Russell draws on a team of over 40 instructors to provide expert individual support and guidance in academic subjects, reading and writing, executive function skills, and test prep (SSAT, ISEE, ACT, SAT, and others). Russell Education tutors are experienced, creative, and highly skilled; they know how to connect with young people ages 6 through 18 and will travel to suit your needs. Call David Russell at781.269.5938 or email director@russelleducation.
- Signet Education – Premium academic subject tutoring, test preparation, and organizational coaching for students from middle school through graduate school. All tutoring is one-on-one and takes place in students’ homes, at our Harvard Square Center, or online. Our tutors have degrees from Harvard, MIT, and other top universities and have been hand-selected for their academic abilities, mentorship experience, and professionalism. To contact, please call 617-395-4160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summit Educational Group – For more than 25 years, Summit has prepared students for standardized tests by providing customized, in-home tutoring focused on the individual student. Summit provides tutoring for students in grades 4-12 in the following areas: SAT, ACT, PSAT, SSAT/ISEE, SAT Subject Tests, as well as academic tutoring. With offices in Newton, MA and New Canaan, CT Summit serves students throughout the New England and New York regions and with their remote, online tutoring programs can now work with students anywhere in the world. Call (800) MY TUTOR.
- Y3K Tutor In Your Home – We tutor special ed. students such as ADD, ADHD, Asperger’s, Autism, executive function, learning disabilities and gifted. We also tutor regular ed. children organizational skills, homework coaching, study skills and test preparation. To contact, please call 781-492-8700 or email email@example.com.
- Children and Adults with AD/HD – CHADD is the leading non-profit organization serving individuals with AD/HD and provides information to parents, educators, and the general public.
Articles We've Written
- Why the IB Works for the LD Student – This IECA Insights newsletter article, co-authored by Will McCulloch, Director of Admission at the New Hampton School, and Allison Matlack, details how the International Baccalaureate (IB) program may be a great choice for students with learning differences.
- The X Factor: The Use of Noncognitive Assessments in Admissions – This IECA Insights newsletter article, co-authored by Allison Matlack and Peter Gilbert, the Director of Admissions at Salisbury School (CT) discusses the ways that schools can use other factors than grades and test to assess an applicant’s promise and potential.