The College Application Process
When a high school student embarks upon their search for the “right college,” they begin a journey of self-discovery, values clarification, and goal setting. By taking the time to help our clients understand who they are and what they most want from their college experience, the college process becomes not just about “getting in,” but about learning how to make important decisions, how to thoughtfully evaluate options, and how to manage a lengthy, multi-step process. We work closely with each student through each step of their college search and application process, personalizing our approach to best support their abilities and learning styles and abilities.
Our consultants are engaged in each step of the process, providing expert guidance founded in years of experience. We spend a lot of time visiting campuses and are eager to share our knowledge of hundreds of colleges and universities – information that can help each student make well-informed choices and, ultimately, find the college that is right for them.
OUR COMPREHENSIVE SERVICES INCLUDE:
- An in-depth interview with the student and family to assess educational and personal goals
- Administration and interpretation of a personality and career interest inventory called YouScience, which the student will be able to retake as often as they wish, for 10 years.
- Development and on-going revision of a college list to match for student’s interests, abilities, and goals
- Development of a time line for the application process
- Guidance with standardized test planning
- Preparation for, and insight into, effective college visits and interviews
- Help with creating a personal resume that will serve several different functions throughout the process and will be included in the application where appropriate.
- Recommendations about opportunities for involvement in extracurricular clubs, sports, and summer activities that will help the student explore their interests, develop their talents, and acquire new and important skills.
- Guidance with all stages of the writing of the personal statement (aka “the college essay) from brainstorm through final draft, focusing on developing a narrative voice that tells a compelling story, gives insight into the student's character, and demonstrates the student’s writing skills.
- Assistance with application so that the final piece highlights the applicant’s strengths and achievements.
- All college clients are given a personalized account in College Planner Pro, a web-based college search and application tool that helps students to organize their application materials and manage their college process while also providing college data and research tools.
- Regular communication with students and parents throughout the application process
We maintain an extensive network of professionals so that our clients can have access to the very best evaluators, test prep professionals, tutors, mental health services, and other ancillary professionals.