- Campus Tours – Take a virtual campus tour with webcam footage, panoramic photos, maps, etc.
- College Board – Offers and extensive college search engine with side-by-side comparisons of colleges as well as information on majors and careers.
- College Data – A better-than-most search engine for matching students to colleges with specialized search criteria. Offers a rough selectivity index for each personalized search. Also serves as an alternative home to the Common Application.
- Niche – This online guide is written by current college students, for prospective college students and gives an insider’s perspective. Student writers use surveys to gather hundreds of student opinions and reviews, then offer “grades” on all aspects of campus life at each school.
- College View – General overview of colleges, with database of 3300 2- and 4-year colleges. Access to Hobson materials – useful info in the areas of engineering, science & technology, visual & performing arts, health & nursing, and historically black colleges.
- Colleges That Change Lives – Web-site maintained by the individual colleges profiled in the book, of the same name, by Loren Pope. Provides information on CTCL college fairs as well as general tips and resources.
- Collegiate Choice Walking Tours – An independent outfit that has video taped actual student guided campus tours of more than 350 schools.
- Thompson Peterson’s – “Peterson’s Planner” college search engine, plus extensive database on summer opportunities, camps, and academic programs.
- The Princeton Review – Search this site by the school’s name, region, state, size, or cost. The site allows you to access and apply online to colleges. Also includes ratings of hundreds of colleges and a database of articles on all aspects of the admissions process.
- Unigo – This online college resource guide has reviews of more than 1,600 colleges and universities. College students share photos, videos, documents, and reviews of their school on this site. High school students and parents use the site as a research tool to explore college options.
Executive Function Coaching
- Beyond BookSmart – Beyond BookSmart is an executive function coaching company that provides in-home and online, 1:1 coaching to students K-College to help them become more effective. For over ten years, they have been working with students throughout Massachusetts strategies and tools to be successful in the classroom and beyond. With branches in Boston, Chicago, greater NYC area and south Florida. They offer free tips and strategies to parents on their blog.
- Engaging Minds – Engaging Minds is an after school learning center that focuses on strengthening students’ executive function skills. Guided by experienced instructors and through the lens of their own homework, students learn the academic skills and strategies they need to succeed over the long-term. Students leave each session feeling accomplished and prepared for the week ahead, and further along in their journey to becoming independent and self-confident learners. Engaging Minds has locations in Newton and Wayland, MA. For more information, call 617-964-3100.
- ACT – The official website for the ACT standardized test. Obtain test dates, registration information, facts about the test, and practice materials.
- College Board – Permits you to register for the SAT as well as send your scores.
- Fair Test – The National Center for Fair and Open Testing. Maintains a list of colleges which consider SAT/ACT optional in the admissions process. Site offers current research facts about standardized testing.
Tutors and Standardized Test Preparation Providers
- ClubZ! In-Home Tutoring – CLUBZ! In-Home Tutoring offers one-on-one tutoring for students in their home. The tutors are highly qualified, degreed, and experienced, and their approach is focused on developing a customized tutoring plan based on the individual student’s curriculum, academic needs, learning style, and testing requirements. They specialize in SAT, ACT, and SAT2/Subject Test prep. They also work specifically in all subjects K-12 including math, reading, writing, science and languages, as well as basic study/organizational skills. Call Reingard Nathanson, Clubz! Metrowest Director, at (978) 440-9844.
- Evolve Tutoring: Evolve is a Best of Boston® award winner and takes a truly holistic approach to working with students. By taking an active interest in the young people they work with, they help them grow not only as students, but as people. Their skilled team of tutors offer in-home tutoring across all subjects, as well as SAT/ACT prep. The initial assessment is free of charge, and they can be reached at (877) 413-4769 or by email at email@example.com.
- Inspirica – One-on-one test preparation and academic support in your home. Customized tutoring programs for ISEE, SSAT, PSAT, SAT, ACT, and all SAT Subject Tests. Over 25 years of experience, with offices in Boston, New York and Philadelphia. Call Vicky Cahill at (617) 243-9015.
- Open Door Tutoring and Test Prep – Founded by enthusiastic educators, Open Door Test Prep in Acton, MA, provides students with smart, patient, individualized tutoring and test preparation. Open Door’s teachers specialize in helping students prepare for the SAT and ACT, and also provide academic support to students in jr. high and high school. Call 978.263.6387 to learn more.
- Prepped and Polished – Founded by 12 year test prep expert Alexis Avila, Prepped & Polished offers in-person and online tutoring and test prep for the SAT, ACT, SSAT, and ISEE tests as well as academic and executive function coaching. Call 781-753-9951 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Signet Education – Premium academic subject tutoring, test preparation, and organizational coaching for students from middle school through graduate school. All tutoring is one-on-one and takes place in students’ homes, at our Harvard Square Center, or online. Our tutors have degrees from Harvard, MIT, and other top universities and have been hand-selected for their academic abilities, mentorship experience, and professionalism. To contact, please call 617-395-4160 or email email@example.com.
- Summit Educational Group – For more than 25 years, Summit has prepared students for standardized tests by providing customized, in-home tutoring focused on the individual student. Summit provides tutoring for students in grades 4-12 in the following areas: SAT, ACT, PSAT, SSAT/ISEE, SAT Subject Tests, as well as academic tutoring. With offices in Newton, MA and New Canaan, CT Summit serves students throughout the New England and New York regions and with their remote, online tutoring programs can now work with students anywhere in the world. Call (800) MY TUTOR.
- Y3K Tutor In Your Home – We tutor special ed. students such as ADD, ADHD, Asperger’s, Autism, executive function, learning disabilities and gifted. We also tutor regular ed. children organizational skills, homework coaching, study skills and test preparation. To contact, please call 781-492-8700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Youth in Philanthropy – Teams of local youth discover the power of philanthropy when they help the Foundation for MetroWest allocate funds to worthy youth-serving organizations through its Youth in Philanthropy program. Through a rich, skills-based curriculum, teens broaden their horizons and gain a deeper understanding of their communities, local needs, and their own strengths and capacities as civic leaders. They learn how to change the world, starting right at home in MetroWest.